22 February 2012

what would you create with a fat eighth of fabric?

That's the question I posted on my Facebook wall several weeks ago. It was kind of a sneaky inquiry because I was getting ready to list my hand printed fabric in my shop.

See, I can make a fat eighth of fabric (that's a piece of fabric that measures about 9" x 22" in case you weren't sure what I'm going on about) go a super long way. But that's me. I like to break fabric down into little tiny bits and collage them together.

So what would people who don't do that, who make larger projects, think of a fat eighth?

All I have to say is that you are all an imaginative bunch. :)

Here are two projects that came from fat eighths from the shop:



That there is a Peculiar Poppet from Kate's Huggable Art Plushies.  As soon as Kate saw the orange fabric she blurted out "Steampunk!" I thought maybe it was just a twitch but this is what she brought me and now I understand! :)

I'm addicted to Kate's Peculiar Poppets and I think this fellow is just fabulous. The orange fabric took on such a wonderful life with this creation, so cool, don't you think??

Patrice also piped up at the question and her choice was to make her technology friend a swanky cover:


She hand stitched the snot out of a piece of the grey and white fabric. Added a bit from her stash for punch and now her iPad is all stylish. (I drooled, I'm not ashamed to say it.)

I'm  happy to see that such a small amount of fabric can still be the life of the party.

So tell me - what would you create with a fat eight of fabric? :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh. My. Lord. Do I love the Poppets. Steampunk Poppet is marvelous! Love the cover, too... dang, I wish I could sew!